st: Re: goodness of instruments

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   "alessia matano" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: goodness of instruments
Date   Thu, 24 May 2007 07:30:50 -0400

Dear Alessia

Your comment #1 is a FAQ. Instrumental variables does not work by specifying which instruments apply to which X variables. You have a set of X and a superset Z, including the exogenous elements of X. Please see Ch.8 in my book, or Baum-Schaffer-Stillman Stata Journal 2003, available in working paper form from the URL below. Some collinearity among the Zs does not invalidate their use; you're just projecting Xs on Zs, and the goodness of fit of that projection is not affected by intercorrelations among the Zs as long as they are not perfect.

You should use xtivreg2 (findit xtivreg2) in order to have access to all of the diagnostic techniques available in ivreg2. Using xtivreg2, you can use the endog() option to evaluate whether specific regressors must be treated as endogenous, and employ the test of overidentifying restrictions (Sargan-Hansen) to consider the quality of the instruments, as well as tests for weak instruments.

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html