Re: st: Table: Summary Statistics

Subject   Re: st: Table: Summary Statistics
Date   Wed, 23 May 2007 08:17:09 -0400

Ana--
In the class of exploratory graphs Nick describes, one good option
compares the distributions of variables across two years or two
countries using density estimates constructed with e.g. -kdens- and,
where appropriate, a log scale, like so:

ssc inst kdens
webuse nlswork
g log=ln(tenure)
g zero=(tenure<=0) if tenure<.
su log
gen lx=(_n-1)/49*(r(max)-r(min))+r(min) in 1/50
gen x=exp(lx)
la var x "Tenure"
g weight=1
kdens log if collg==1 & year==88 [pw=weight], at(lx) gen(c) nogr
su zero if collg==1& year==88 [aw=weight], meanonly
local nz1: di %3.2f 100*(1-r(mean))
la var c "Coll grads, for the `nz1'% with nonzero expenditures "
kdens log if collg==0 & year==88 [pw=weight], at(lx) gen(nc) nogr
su zero if collg==0 & year==88 [aw=weight], meanonly
local nz0: di %3.2f 100*(1-r(mean))
la var nc "Not coll grads, for the `nz0'% with nonzero expenditures"
line c nc x, xscal(log) leg(order(1 - 2))

You could also plot the proportion at zero or below (not plotted on a
log scale) as a point mass in such a graph on the y-axis rule, but
this is an incorrect location for the point mass, and it is a bit
strange to compare densities and point masses simultaneously, so I
prefer just to put the relevant proportion in text somewhere, as in
the example.