Re: st: Table: Summary Statistics

From   "Ana R. Rios" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Table: Summary Statistics
Date   Tue, 22 May 2007 14:15:16 -0700 (PDT)

Nick,

Thank you for your observation.  I have just started
working on summary statistics of the data.  I am
working with a merged dataset of household data from
Tanzania (1990-1991 and 1991-92), Vietnam (1991-92,
1997-98) and Guatemala (2000).  The dataset includes
variables measuring household characteristics, farm
characteristics, detailed consumption and expenditure
data and community characteristics.  These variables
are comparable and consistent across countries and
years.

Given your observation of highly skewed distributions,
I was wondering what kind of summary statistics and
transformed scales would be appropriate?

I would really appreciate any comment or suggestion.

Ana Rios

--- n j cox <[email protected]> wrote:

> Not your question, but your sds are close
> to your means, and it is evident that you
> have highly skewed distributions. Printing
> both to 5 or 6 significant figure is no
> doubt part of what is expected, but their
> utility is moot.
>
> I trust that somewhere there is a fuller analysis
> with other summary measures and/or comparison on
> transformed scales.
>
> Nick
> [email protected]
>
> Ana R. Rios
>
> I am trying to build a table with summary statistics
> (mean and standard deviation) as follows:
>
>             Tanzania 1992-93         Tanzania
> 1993-94
> Harvest	        1708.47                  1254.36
>                 (1454.64)                 (926.05)
>
> Is there any command that will create a table like
> this?  Any advise?  I have used the "tabstat"
> command
> but it places the mean and standard deviation in two
> separate columns.

> http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html

in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.