st: RE: HELP! recoding string or long variable into some "text" format

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: HELP! recoding string or long variable into some "text" format
Date   Mon, 14 May 2007 22:18:43 +0100

The first line of the Description in the help for -recode- says

"-recode- changes the values of numeric variables according to the
rules specified."

So, -recode- does not apply to string variables (which you are
calling "text").

Otherwise, I don't understand your question. It seems that
your data have two variables with values like

"0001"  "single-family residential"

In which case what do you want to do?

It may be that you have different information in different
files, in which case you need to tell us more.

Also, for the Stata meaning of "format", see the help on -format-.

Marcos Feldman