Re: st: Stata and Bayesian capabilities?

From   "Stas Kolenikov" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata and Bayesian capabilities?
Date   Sun, 29 Apr 2007 17:42:55 -0500

As a faculty in the department that's about half Bayesian, I would
disagree with Nick's characterization of Bayesian methods as unstable
-- the discussion about the objective priors is still going on, while
the MCMC paradigm is there to stay, because it is so computationally
efficient. The thing is, as soon as you move away from the mean of the
i.i.d. sample, things are beginning to become more of the art of
writing efficient samplers that of course tend to be problem-specific,
thus getting into the domain of the cutting edge research rather than
mainstream packaging -- you really need to know all of the basic
statistics, plus the Bayesian version of it, plus understand
computational challenges, before you begin to get good (quickly
converging, efficiently mixing, etc.) results for a moderate
complexity model at hand.

WinBUGS is the largest available piece of software (and it's free),
and as long as it is written in C originally, it it can probably be
compiled as a Stata plug-in :)). WinBUGS is R-callable, so folks using
R won't bother looking for anything else. SAS is just beginning to
incorporate those estimation methods for a very restricted set of
procedures -- and you can get the likelihood solutions for those just
as well, there is not that much terribly interesting there in the
sense of the Bayesian methods beating the frequentist ones.

As a bottom line, I agree with NJC that the Stata world would be
better off with the development resources spent on something more
mainstreamy and applicable by the users of the data.