st: RE: Problem with areg, xtreg, xtivreg2 for Fixed-effects model

From   "Steven Stillman" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Problem with areg, xtreg, xtivreg2 for Fixed-effects model
Date   Sun, 29 Apr 2007 02:31:12 +1200

You need to read the documentation for xtivreg2 more carefully.

This command drops singleton groups from the number of observations, which
is why you get a different number than xtreg and areg.  These observations
are not used in any of these estimation procedures, except to get an overall
constant for the model, which is why all the coefficient estimates are the
same, but are included in the number of observations in official stata
commands.

By default, xtivreg2 displays standard errors without a small sample
adjustment, which is appropriate for IV estimates.  Since you do not have
any endogenous variables, use the small option to get correct standard
errors that will match those from areg and xtreg.

If you look at the sigma formulas in the stata manual under xtreg, you
should be able to create these using the information saved by xtivreg2.

Cheers,
Steve