Re: st: Generate question

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Generate question
Date   Thu, 26 Apr 2007 21:41:19 -0400

This should do it:

 bys y (x): replace x=x[1]

hth,
Jeph

Hendri Adriaens wrote:
Hi,

I need to do the following. I have data in x and y. x are names and y are
numbers. The names and numbers are one-to-one. A specific x,y combination
occurs many times. x has some missing values, but the value could be found
elsewhere in x via the link in y, which is complete. So, if x is missing,
search in the dataset to find the x with that y.

How can I do this easily? I tried the following:
1) drop the missing observations from x
2) make a collapse of x and y (to get unique combinations)
3) save that to a file
4) open original data again, merge it on y with temporary file, uniqusing.

It complains that y doesn't uniquely identify the master data, which is
obvious. But x hasn't changed a bit after this operation and the _merge
variable is 1 where x was missing. But the numbers y associated with these
observations certainly do occur in the temporary file.

Is there a better and working way?

Thank you, best regards,
-Hendri Adriaens.

-------------------------------- Hendri Adriaens Researcher CentERdata Tilburg Universiteit Room K638 Warandelaan 2 PO Box 90153 5000 LE Tilburg, The Netherlands Tel.: +31-13-466 3263 / 8325
Fax.: +31-13-466 2764 E-mail: [email protected]
WWW: http://www.centerdata.nl

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/