Re: st: Question RE: merging files

From   Richard Goldstein <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Question RE: merging files
Date   Thu, 26 Apr 2007 16:28:09 -0400

S J:

you don't tell us what you told Stata or what Stata told you

however, 2 guesses

1. you did not sort by county in at least one of the file (you
must do it in both)

2. county is string in one file and numeric in the other

Rich

S J wrote:

Dear all,

I have two files, one is person level, one is county
level. To illustrate:

PERSON LEVEL FILE (person_file.dta):

person county age
1 1 20
2 1 34
3 1 17
4 2 16
5 2 23
6 2 45

COUNTY LEVEL FILE (county_file.dta):

county population
1 15000
2 14089

I would have thought that I could merge these two by
stating (while using person_file.dta as memory):

merge county using county_file.dta

But Stata does not like that.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I am a total newbie.

Best.

Ferdinand.