Re: st: how to calculate the Standardized Duncan Index by duncanor duncan2 command?

From   n j cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: how to calculate the Standardized Duncan Index by duncanor duncan2 command?
Date   Wed, 25 Apr 2007 13:41:37 +0100

There are no precise references or equations or definitions here to bite on.

-duncan- and -duncan2- are commands on SSC written by Ben Jann. Looking
at the code, I can't see any hidden options.

My understanding is that the Duncan index (which has many other names,
dissimilarity index perhaps being the most common) is already
standardised, at least in the sense that it is free of units and scaled
to lie between 0 and 1. If you want standardisation in some other sense,
I think you will need to say what that is.

As far as I can recall, the Duncan index was invented by Gini.

Nick

Simo Hansen

In the segregarion literature, some researchers suggest to use "standardized
Duncan index". Can I use the duncan or duncan2 command with some options to
obtain the standardized Duncan index? Or Should I calculate this
standardized one by writing a small program?
*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/