st: Matched case-control studies: useful Stata commands esp. for description

From   John LeBlanc <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Matched case-control studies: useful Stata commands esp. for description
Date   Wed, 18 Apr 2007 16:33:06 -0300

Hi,

Could someone give me some general advice on useful Stata commands for
analyzing matched case-control studies? I have study with a variable #
of controls/case arranged longitudinally. The outcome variable is a road
traffic injury to a child and I have ~50 cases and 4-5 controls/case.

Here's what I have gleaned so far from reading the Stata manuals,
searching Google and this archive.

Multivariate analysis and hypothesis testing
clogit: seems to be the single most useful command since it can generate
measures of association, C.I. & p-values for variable number of cases &
controls

1:1 matched study
epitab mcc
BUT, data must be wide and only for case-control pairs.

DESCRIPTIVE STATISTICS
This is where I'm having the most trouble. I"d like to be able to
summarize various demographic characteristics and other independent
variables for cases and controls before entering them into a
multivariate clogit model.

Do I just use standard commands such as "table" or "means" and ignore
any tests of hypotheses since I would get these from Stata?

Are there any Stata commands that are particularly useful for
summarizing a matched case-control dataset?

Do I simply ignore the matching in the descriptive analysis and present,
e.g., means or frequency distributions for the cases and controls by the
various independent variables?

Thanks for your help.

John LeBlanc

John C. LeBlanc, MD, MSc, FRCPC
Associate Professor
Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Community Health and Epidemiology
Dalhousie University

IWK Health Centre               Work phone: (902) 470-8930
5850 University Avenue          Work fax:   (902) 470-6913
Halifax, Nova Scotia            Email: [email protected]
B3K 6R8 CANADA                  Pager:      (902) 470-8888