Re: st: Tobit interpretation and post estimation

From   "Elena Giarda" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Tobit interpretation and post estimation
Date   Wed, 18 Apr 2007 09:21:31 +0200

Dear Maarten and Austin,

thank you for your replies, they are both very useful.

Our main aim is to estimate age profiles of household debt, by cohort, to follow the evolution of household debt.

We chose a tobit model because we have the problem of debt rationing: some households have zero debt not because they choose so, but because were refused the loan by banks or financial institutions. Also some households might have a lower level of debt than desired because of partial rationing. We excluded non-rationed households (with zero debt) from our sample (is this reasonable?) because this is their desired level of debt. We are able to detect rationed and non-rationed households from a couple of questions in the Bank of Italy's household survey. We also found reference of this approach in the literature, but maybe is not the most appropriate.

Anyway...we made a mistake in our first estimates, because we set the censoring level at zero, when instead it should be a positive number. In case we decide to go further with the tobit estimation how do we choose the level of censoring?

About the "positive debt" problem pointed out by Austin: we are using the variable "debt" (we have now switched to the total amount of debt=consumer debt + mortgages) with the amount of debt declared by the household. We are not considering overal wealth of households, therefore debt is either zero or positive.

We'll check the suggestion by Austin about the poisson regression and will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

Elena and Cristiana

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/