st: nlogit null model log likelihood: will clogit suffice?

From   John Fulton <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: nlogit null model log likelihood: will clogit suffice?
Date   Sat, 07 Apr 2007 23:32:34 -0400

Hello statalisters.
I need to get the null-model log likelihood from -nlogit-.
I can't think of a way to do it, because -nlogit's- syntax requires nesting information,
as in this example, where the dependent variable (which indicates the chosen alternative)
is "chosen," and the group is identified by "group_id":
. nlogit chosen (nest1=var1) (nest2=var2), group(group_id)

But I don't want the log likelihood with var1 and var2 in the model.

I tried this:
. nlogit chosen , group(group_id)
and was told "varlist not allowed"

If I do this:
. clogit chosen, group(group_id)
I get the log likelihood of the null model.

Is there any reason this isn't a valid log likelihood for the null -nlogit-?

Thank you.
John.

*
* For searches and help try: