st: keeping an inventory of dropped observations

From   Michael McCulloch <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: keeping an inventory of dropped observations
Date   Thu, 29 Mar 2007 17:52:55 -0700

Hello,
While cleaning a dataset, I'm periodically dropping observations that meet certain criteria, for example:
drop if eodlymph==99

Since this occurs very often within a long do-file, I'd like to keep an inventory of dropped observations & my reason for doing so. Aside from manually searching through my log file, is there a more elegant way than what I suggest below, to do this?

For example:
gen mark_for_drop=0
gen reason_for_drop=.
replace mark_for_drop=1 if eodlymph==99
replace reason_for_drop="missing lymph" if eodlymph==99
drop if eodlymph==99
tab mark_for_drop reason_for_drop if reason_for_drop==1

Many thanks,
Michael

--

Michael McCulloch, LAc, MPH