st: Point-and-click survival graphs of multiple groups

From   "Dupont, William" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Point-and-click survival graphs of multiple groups
Date   Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:24:29 -0500

Statalisters

I am writing a description of the point-and-click command for
Kaplan-Meier survival curves for two groups. I wish to display the 95%
confidence bands for these curves and suppress the graph title and
figure legend.  As has been explained previously on this listserver, the
character based command for doing this is something like

. sts graph, by(group, legend(off) title(" ", size(zero))) gwood

What is perhaps slightly odd about this syntax is that the -legend- and
-title- options only work as suboptions of the -by- option and are
ignored if they are given as options of the -sts graph- command.

It is my belief that the preceding command can not be replicated with
the pull-down menus.  At least, my attempts to do this so far have
failed.  Doing the obvious things with the Title and Legend tabs of the
-sts graph- dialog box generate the character base command

. sts graph, by(group) gwood legend(off) title(" ", size(zero))

which produces a graph that is identical to

. sts graph, by(group) gwood

I would be most grateful if anyone could either confirm that what I want
to do cannot be done with the pull-down menus or else explain how to do
this.  I would very much like to avoid saying anything in print that is
false.

Best wishes,

Bill Dupont