st: Infile stops reading dataset

From   evan roberts <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Infile stops reading dataset
Date   Tue, 27 Mar 2007 11:09:07 -0500

hello,

Has anyone ever had infile stop reading a dataset part way through a file for no apparent reason?

I have tested the dictionaries and the data reads in correctly for the first 3534 lines of the file, and then stops (there are 778,429 lines in the file -- it is hierarchical).

When I try reading a different section of the file after line 3534, by specifying _firstlineoffile() Stata reads in no observations.

The problem occurs under both Unix and Windows, and does not appear to be related to carriage returns or odd characters in the file.

Because the dataset is quite large, and the problem appears someway into the file I have put them on the web (http://users.pop.umn.edu/~eroberts/no1875/) for anyone who wishes to take a look. I have just excerpted 10000 lines of the file to reduce the file size. An aside for anyone who does look at the programs/dictionaries -- although most variables are (meant to be) numeric we are reading them as strings specifically to see if there are alpha characters in the data mistakenly.

Many thanks for whatever help people can provide
Evan Roberts

--
Evan Roberts