Re: st: dynamic panel with selection and more endogeneous

From   "Rodrigo A. Alfaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: dynamic panel with selection and more endogeneous
Date   Fri, 23 Mar 2007 01:24:21 -0400

Nicola,

(1) Hausman-Taylor model, Arellano-Bond and other estimators in the same line are constructed by the assumption of y(i,t) = a(i) + x(i,t)'b + e(i,t), where x(i,t) can include time variant and time invariant variables and a(i) is the unobservable. The definition of unobservable is more general than FE or RE and this point is based on Wooldridge (2002) textbook.

(2) Linear Panel Data autoregressive with unobservable can be estimated by FE with slightly bias on the coefficient if T is large. I just found a paper from Bum and Carree (2005) in the Journal of Business & Economic Statistic that proposes another bias correction!! They said that is more accurate than Hahn and Kuersteiner bias correction, even for small T. The Monte Carlo experiment includes T=3!!

(3) My suggestion on simulation is the following: given that there is not such a model in the literature close to your problem, it would be a good idea to simulate data under some specification of the parameters, then you try different estimators and see the performance of these estimators. Suppose that extra endogenous are z3 and z4. Then

set obs 100
gen a = invnorm(uniform())
gen id = _n
expand 5
bysort id: gen t = _n
drawnorm exog1 exog2 exog3 exog4 v1 v2 v3 v4
forv i=1/4 {
gen z`i' = (exog1 + exog2 + exog3 + exog4)/4 + v`i'
}
tsset id t
gen y = a/0.2
gen y1 = y
gen y2 = y
replace y1 = a + 0.8*L.y1 + z3 + z4 if t>1
replace y2 = a + 0.8*L.y + z1 + z2 z3 + z4 if t>1
replace y = y1
replace y = y2 if z1>0
drop y1 y2

Fixing the code for your case, with z1 and z2 proportions and less time variability for z3 and z4, you have a simulated dataset. Introducing this into a loop you can create datasets that after you can use to evaluate the performance of different estimators.

R.

----- Original Message ----- From: <[email protected]>