Re: st: unabcmd

From   [email protected] (Jeff Pitblado, StataCorp LP)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: unabcmd
Date   Wed, 21 Mar 2007 20:30:34 -0500

Maarten buis <[email protected]> wrote:

> I am having some trouble with -unabcmd-. The help-file of -unabcmd-
> states that: ``If commandname_or_abbreviation is a valid command,
> unabcmd returns in local r(cmd) the unabbreviated name.'' However, the
> example below seems to show that that isn't the case for -reg- (short
> for -regress-). The same is true for -mlog- (short for -mlogit-).
>
> . unabcmd l
>
> . di r(cmd)
> list
>
> . /*as expected*/
> .
> . unabcmd reg
>
> . di r(cmd)
> reg
>
> . /*I expected regress*/

Short reply:

Maarten is correct.  According to the documentation,

	. unabcmd reg

should result with "regress" in -r(cmd)-.

Since -unabcmd- is a built-in command the fix will be available in the next
executable update.

----------

Longer reply:

In Stata 9, the built-in estimation command -regress- was renamed to
-_regress- and an ado-file replaced it.   This change helped facilitate the
new -vce()- option for estimating alternative (co)variance estimates such as
-bootstrap- and -jackknife-.

In order to continue to allow the abbreviations of the old built-in -regress-
command, the following ado-files are short-cut programs for the new -regress-
ado program.

	reg.ado
	regr.ado
	regre.ado
	regres.ado

This is what -unabcmd- will currently find if you specify one of the
abbreviations for -regress-.

Here is the full list of built-in estimation commands that were renamed and
replaced with ado-files in Stata 9:

	cnreg
	logit
	mlogit
	ologit
	oprobit
	probit
	regress
	tobit

We will fix -unabcmd- to correctly recognize the abbreviations for these
commands.

--Jeff