st: RE: RE: Significance stars

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Significance stars
Date   Sun, 18 Mar 2007 16:45:49 -0000

Thanks for your testimony. Naturally, real life
is complicated and short. I too sometimes use
P < 0.05 as an indicator of what's worth taking
seriously, although always in combination with
other criteria. And I too sometimes compromise
reluctantly with reviewers for the sake of getting
a paper published.

All I can say on the last is that the Stata Journal
disapproves very mightily!

What I find interesting is the apparent lack of
_any_ good reason for starring. The social facts that
many people do it and that a few people even insist on
it are not in question. It's the rationale I seek.

Anderson, Bradley J