RE: st: RE: Table with medians of a variable with many categorical variables

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Table with medians of a variable with many categorical variables
Date   Thu, 15 Mar 2007 22:45:37 -0000

My comment was one old-timer's advice, and manifestly not an
echo of list policy.

My advice, which I repeat, is that calling your question
"quick" is not helpful and is indeed likely to create the wrong
impression. After all, no one says things like "I have
a question one sentence long" or "... one paragraph long".
We can see how long a short question is!

Naturally, I am sure that often the intent is totally innocent
and that the poster is just "warming up", as it were. Many
people don't seem able or willing to ask a question
without a preamble or a postamble, and no harm in that
as such.

But my reaction, and perhaps it is shared by some others, is why
are you telling me this? Are you soft-selling or grovelling?
You needn't do that. A good question can stand up for itself.

Anyway, view this statistically, or decision theoretically.
The distribution has two categories. There may be some
like me who find it irritating, and some like Jeph, who
aren't irritated. The best strategy is still not to
do it.

"Quick" questions are not as bad as "easy" questions,
agreed!

Jeph Herrin