RE: st: Tests for trend

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Tests for trend
Date   Thu, 15 Mar 2007 17:10:30 -0000

Two possible ordinal trend measure not detected by

findit trend test

are Somers' D and Kendall's tau-a. These are trend parameters (not just trend tests), expressed as differences between concordance probabilities. They can be estimated (with confidence limits and not just P-values) using the -somersd- package. The Stata 9 version of -somersd- is downloadable from SSC using the -ssc- command. The Stata 6 version is still available to users of Stata 6, 7 and 8, and can be downloaded from my website using the command

net from http://www.imperial.ac.uk/nhli/r.newson/stata6/

More about Somers' D and Kendall's tau-a can be found in Newson (2006) and Newson (2002) (see below).

I hope this helps.

Roger

References

Newson R. Confidence intervals for rank statistics: Somers' D and extensions. The Stata Journal 2006; 6(3): 309-334. Download pre-publication draft from
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/nhli/r.newson/papers.htm

Newson R. Parameters behind "nonparametric" statistics: Kendall's tau, Somers' D and median differences. The Stata Journal 2002; 2 (1): 45-64. Download pre-publication draft from
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/nhli/r.newson/papers.htm

Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
National Heart and Lung Institute