RE: st: xtivreg2, overidxt,

Subject   RE: st: xtivreg2, overidxt,
Date   Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:12:20 -0000

Nicola et al.,

In case you're curious, the reason for the difference is that -xtoverid-
(and -xtivreg2-) correct for the loss of degrees of freedom because of
the fixed effects, which are nuisance parameters.  -overidxt- does not
make this correction, and as a result it is more likely (too likely) to
reject the null of valid instruments.

It's similar to the adjustment needed for the error variance when
constructing the var-cov matrix for the fixed effects estimator.  The
error variance is bigger after the adjustment (and hence p-values for
paramater tests are bigger); here, the overid statistic is smaller after
the adjustment (and hence the p-value is bigger).  Or, put another way,
the usual Sargan overid test is an N*R2 test.  In a balanced panel with
N fixed effects and T periods, it's an (NT-N)*R2 test, because in effect
N observations are "lost" because of the estimation of the fixed
effects.

Cheers,
Mark