Re: st: binary format type str question

From   [email protected] (William Gould, Stata)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: binary format type str question
Date   Wed, 14 Mar 2007 09:08:16 -0500

Mark Fisher <[email protected]> writes,

> [...] I have no problems reading the test files.  Also, I now realize the
> first byte in the files I am having trouble with is not 113 by 110. Is there
> a document that explains this format (and other non-113 Stata formats) or
> should I just give up?

I would give up, but it depends how serious you are about file conversion.
Modern Statas read old-format datasets, so all a Stata user has to do
to translate a dataset to modern format is type,

        . use mydata

        . save, replace

A 110 dataset, for you information, is from Stata 7, released December of
2000.  Stata 8, it's replacement, uses format 112, was released January of
2003.  Format 111 is for Stata/SE 7, released Feb. of 2002.  I could go on.
Theseday, however, all Statas use a single format, 113.

We do not have documents on-line that describe the different formats but,
if you really want them, we will produce them.  It would take us a few weeks
and perhaps a couple of months to do that.

-- Bill