Re: st: binary format type str question

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: binary format type str question
Date   Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:29:16 -0400

I'm not sure how you are determining the end of the data segment. I always understood that the allocation for string data (and all data) is in fixed-length chunks. So I expect 641 bytes per record (if I added correctly), for a total of 32691 bytes.

If your str98 value is only, say, 70 characters long, then character 71 is a null character (zero). Characters 72 - 98 are irrelevant, but probably filled with nulls as well. I would not interpret consecutive nulls as signifying empty values (for other variables).

One can imagine other ways of storing string data, but Stata uses fixed-length, fixed_position allocation.

Again, I would look into how you decided where the end of the data segment is.
Also see - help dta-. (I am looking at the Stata 8 on-screen help. It says in one place that the allocated length of each var label is 33; later it says 81. I think 81 is correct.)

HTH
--David