Re: st: How to deal with a lot of exogenous variables in Path analysis (help)

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to deal with a lot of exogenous variables in Path analysis (help)
Date   Sat, 10 Mar 2007 09:39:14 +0000 (GMT)

--- Yan Cheng <[email protected]> wrote:
>      I want to get a model through path analysis, including five
> parts of exogenous variables (background, family, peer, media and
> school environment) and three endogenous variables (knowledge,
> attitude and behavior). In each part of exogenous variables, there
> are more than 5 independent variables, some of them are category
> variables (occupation and family structure) while others are
> continuous variables (age, family support score).

Assuming that all your endogenous variables are influenced by all your
exogenous variables and that knowledge is not influenced by attitude
and behaviour, that attitude is influenced by knowledge but not
behoviour, and behaviour is influenced by both knowledge and attitude
you can estimate the model like this:

pathreg (knowledge background family peer media school) /*
*/ (attitude knowledge background family peer media school) /*
*/ (behavior attitude knowledge background family peer media school) /*

replace background, family, peer, etc. with the variable names of the
variables that are in those blocks. Add the categorical and ordinal
variables as a series of dummie variables as you would in any other
regression type analysis.

-pahtreg- is not part of official Stata, but written by Phill Ender.
Type -findit pathreg- to find it and follow the instructions to install
it. Also see: http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/Stata/faq/pathreg.htm

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis