st: RE: parsing question

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: parsing question
Date   Fri, 9 Mar 2007 10:19:56 -0000

I wouldn't do it like that. I would have an option

periods(str)

and set up a little language, say

periods(x2=1980(1)2000 x3=1998&1990)

Then you parse the argument of -periods()-
ad hoc, within your program, downstream of -syntax-.

There is a trade-off between being restrictive
over the details of the little language (making
life easier for the programmer) and being relaxed
(making life easier for the user).

For example, you could insist that spaces are
used to separate specifications for each variable,
and only for that purpose. That would mean that
you would need syntax for your second example,
say using "&" as above.

So, a sketch could be

if "`periods'" != "" {
	foreach p of local periods {
		local whereeq = strpos("`p'", "=")
		if `whereq' == 0 {
			di as err "invalid syntax in periods()"
			exit 198
		}
		else {
			local var = substr("`p'",1,`whereq'-1)
			capture confirm var `var'
			if _rc {
				di as err "`var' not a variable in periods()"
				exit <suitable error code>
			}
			local spec = substr("`p'",`whereq'+1,.)
			local spec : subinstr local spec "&" " ", all
			numlist `spec'
			local spec "`r(numlist)'"
			// put `var' and `spec' somewhere for later use
		}
	}
}

Tom Boonen