Re: st: Pareto v. lognormal

From   "Stas Kolenikov" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Pareto v. lognormal
Date   Wed, 7 Mar 2007 09:20:43 -0600

Well to be fair to the lognormal distribution, you would not only need
to test the coefficient at the squared ln x, but also the non-linear
equality involving the three regression parameters, as there are only
two parameters in lognormal -- essentially, re-expressing mu and sigma
from two of those and substituting to the third one. See a paper in an
early Stata Journal about sensitivity of Wald test to the specific
forms those non-linear restrictions can take -- there are problems.

And, as you noted, the standard errors are difficult to get --
whatever comes out of the -regress- command is obviously too small.
The neighboring observations become dependent, as the kernel density
estimates should span a few, sometimes dozens, of observations, so you
need something like -newey- at the very least even to get started --
but even then the sampling variability in \hat f(x) is undercounted,
anyway. I don't really know how well the bootstrap meshes with the
kernel methods; they have different rates of convergence, etc. -- I
wouldn't be so sure it is easy even to show that the bootstrap will
give consistent variance estimates.

The statistics based on quantile plots, as far as I can recall, are
Shapiro-Wilk test and its various modifications, looking at whether
the data are on the straight line on the quantile plot or not.

Stas Kolenikov
http://stas.kolenikov.name