st: RE: Re: eliminate negative values and their positive counterpart

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: eliminate negative values and their positive counterpart
Date   Tue, 6 Mar 2007 21:20:51 -0000

I stopped at this line. There is a typo there
somewhere, as the code is illegal:

by t abs_charge:egen npos=count if charge>0

Sergiy Radyakin

> you will get a dozen of ways to do this more efficiently in
> several minutes,
> but here is a straightforward way:
>
> Assume your data is:
>     +------------+
>      | t   charge |
>      |------------|
>   1. | 1       10 |
>   2. | 2       20 |
>   3. | 2       20 |
>   4. | 3       30 |
>   5. | 3       20 |
>      |------------|
>   6. | 3      -30 |
>   7. | 3      -30 |
>   8. | 4       10 |
>   9. | 4       20 |
>  10. | 4       30 |
>      |------------|
>  11. | 4       40 |
>  12. | 5       10 |
>  13. | 5       20 |
>  14. | 5      -10 |
>  15. | 5      -10 |
>      |------------|
>  16. | 5       10 |
>  17. | 5       10 |
>  18. | 5       20 |
>  19. | 5       10 |
>  20. | 5       10 |
>      |------------|
>  21. | 5       10 |
>  22. | 5      -10 |
>  23. | 5       20 |
>  24. | 5      -20 |
>      +------------+
>

> Then
>

> gen abs_charge=abs(charge)
> sort t abs_charge
> by t abs_charge:egen npos=count if charge>0
>
> gen posit=1 if charge>0
> gen negat=1 if charge<0
>
> by t abs_charge:egen npos=count(posit)
> by t abs_charge:egen nneg=count(negat)
>
> by t abs_charge:gen ndel=npos*(npos<nneg)+nneg*(nneg<npos)
>
> by t abs_charge:drop if _n<ndel | _n>_N-ndel
>

> Or something similar? change t as appropriate to define a group.

sara borelli