Re: st: st : Prediction using xtlogit

From   SamL <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: st : Prediction using xtlogit
Date   Mon, 5 Mar 2007 09:32:23 -0800 (PST)

Actually, I am not sure the fixed effects logit explicitly estimates what
one needs to have estimated to produce the predicted values you are
seeking.  I think you are estimating the random effects model, and I am
not sure this translates to that model.

But, the fixed effects logit sweeps the intercepts out, and estimates the
parameters for the variables that vary.  Lacking an intercept for a case,
I don't believe one can calculate a predicted value for the case.  It may
be that the random effects model does something similar, treating the
errors in the way that the fixed effects logit model treats the
person-specific intercepts.

But, I've been following this thread to see if someone mentioned this, and
I don't have access to my econometrics texts at the moment (while
traveling overseas), so I cannot do a quick check of my own resources to
confirm this.  But, it would explain the absence of a predicted value
"switch" on the post-estimation command for xtlogit, I suppose.

Hopefully others will weigh in to clarify.

HTH
Sam