st: intervening variables and path analysis

Subject   st: intervening variables and path analysis
Date   Mon, 5 Mar 2007 10:52:14 -0500

Richard Goldstein and Yan Cheng--
Any discussion of intervening variables or path analysis could touch
on hundreds of different sets of terminology from numerous
disciplines, but a seach on "structural equations models" should
encompass much of the relevant literature [in Stata, the first hit
should be on -reg3- probably, and see gllamm.org for complicated
models].  This thread is certainly a long one in economics, and no
short answer is likely to satisfy.  However, I like the quote below
from http://www2.chass.ncsu.edu/garson/pa765/path.htm

Everitt and Dunn (1991) note, "However convincing, respectable and
reasonable a path diagram... may appear, any causal inferences
extracted are rarely more than a form of statistical fantasy". The
authors are referring to the fact that ultimately path analysis deals
with correlation, not causation of variables. The arrows in path
models do indeed reflect hypotheses about causation. However, many
models may be consistent with a given dataset. Path analysis merely
illuminates which of two or more competing models, derived from
theory, is most consistent with the pattern of correlations found in
the data. The competing theories may be represented in separate path
models with separate path analyses, or may be combined in a single
path diagram, in which case the researcher is concerned with comparing
the relative importance of different paths within the diagram.

Everitt, B. S., and G. Dunn, G. (1991). Applied multivariate data
analysis. London: Edward Arnold.