st: RE: SPMAP: interpreting class breaks / adding state outlines

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: SPMAP: interpreting class breaks / adding state outlines
Date   Sun, 4 Mar 2007 16:57:46 -0000

Your main question is answered in the help:

clbreaks(numlist) is required when option clmethod(custom) is specified. It defines the custom class breaks to be
        used for classifying variable attribute. numlist should be specified so that the first element is the minimum
        value of variable attribute to be considered; the second to kth elements are the class breaks; and the last
        element is the maximum value of variable attribute to be considered. For example, suppose we want to group
        the values of variable attribute into the following four classes: [10,15], (15,20], (20,25] and (25,50]; for
        this we must specify clbreaks(10 15 20 25 50).

Look carefully and you will see a standard notation for closed and
half-open intervals that is evidently new to you. See for
example http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ClosedInterval.html and similar.

When [ is used it denotes that values are >=
the lower limit. When ( it denotes that values are > the lower
limit. Similarly ] and ) imply <= and < the upper limit.

Thus you want [0,0], (0,1], (1,2], (2,3], (3, larger than three]
which is what your breaks will achieve.

Julie Susan Darnell