st: Time series (?) question

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Time series (?) question
Date   Sat, 3 Mar 2007 19:28:35 -0800 (PST)

Sorry, this is probably, but I'm new at this.

I have a dataset that contains years, a dependent variable, and an
independent variable, and a sort of negative control.

I would like to find out how much of the variation in the dependent
variable can be attributed to the independent variable, taking into
account the natural variation of the negative control.

What sort of analysis should I be applying? Please, correct my
terminology; I'm sure that it's ridiculous.

Thanks much for your help.
-mark