st: creating dynamically updated dialogs

From   "Zurab Sajaia" <[email protected]>
To   "statalist" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: creating dynamically updated dialogs
Date   Thu, 1 Mar 2007 09:50:32 -0500

Dear all,

I need to create GUI for a program and decided to use the dialog features to have all the components within Stata. But idea is to have dynamically updated contents on forms (dialogs) i.e. components of a combobox changed based on the value of some other control.

After reading help for dialog programming, I'm left under the impression that Stata dialogs are static and whatever is loaded at the time dialog is invoked cannot be changed. Is this in fact true or I missed something and there are ways to make a dialog 'live'?

A simple example what I want to achieve would be to have one FILE field and a VARLIST combobox. user specifies a dataset and then combobox will contain the list of variables from that file. Can this kind of things be done using dialogs or I should think of some other solutions?

Thanks alot in advance for any input,
Zurab
*
* For searches and help try: