Re: st: getting u0 from -xtlogit, re-

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: getting u0 from -xtlogit, re-
Date   Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:55:44 -0500

There is an error in the second paragraph, where I should
have written:

 > -predict- after *-xtlogit-* allows a linear prediction which
 > assumes u0 = 0, and a probability prediction which assumes
 > u0=0.

Jeph Herrin wrote:
-xtlogit, re- estimates a random intercept logistic
regression model, and returns estimates of the variance
of the random (group) error term u0 in two different ways:
ln(sigma_u^2) and sigma_u.

However, unlike with -xtmixed-, there seems to be no
direct way to generate predictions that incorporate u0.
-predict- after -xtmixed- allows a linear prediction which
assumes u0 = 0, and a probability prediction which assumes
u0=0. What I want is a predicted value which equals the
linear prediction plus the random effect.

Given that -predict- doesn't do this, does someone know a
trick for getting u0 for each group? Or a theoretical reason
that I shouldn't be able to? I think I could roll my own,
but it would be easier to detour through a software package
which will give me these directly.

thanks,
Jeph