st: Ordered probit postestimation

From   "Mckenzie, Lynda" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Ordered probit postestimation
Date   Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:01:37 -0000

I am analysisng ordered categorical data with oprobit and would like to
predict out of sample values. I have used postestimation commands and am
not too certain how to interpret the results. For example, I have 3
valules for a variable, 1, 2 and 3. Postestimation predictions gives me
a value for each of the 3 new variables I have specified. What I would
like to be clear about is how these values relate to the actual values
for the categorical variable. Are they the probability that the
predicted value is the level of the actual value? i.e. when I tabulate
the mean value of the predicted variables over the actual values of the
variables how do I interpret the numbers

Eg: original variable variable1 has values 1, 2 or 3

Predicted variable v1, v2 and v3

When I type
Mean v1 v2 v3, over(variable1) I get a table of mean values as follows.
How do I interpret these mean values?

V1  1  0.66
     2 0.5
     3 0.3