Re: st: Strate-confidence interval method

From   "Svend Juul" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Strate-confidence interval method
Date   Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:55:13 +0100

Milly wrote:

I want to calculate the variance from the confidence intervals given by
the command strate  (using no options).  I need the method that was used
to calculate these confidence intervals as it does not seem to be given
in the manual and it is hard to find the correct place in the ado file.
This is mentioned in stata list archives but with the SMR option

The manual is not very explicit although it does state (p. 216):
"By default, the confidence intervals are calculated using the quadratic
approximation to the Poisson log likelihood for the log-rate parameter."
I don't know it that is specific enough for you.

The returned results (not mentioned in the manual) include r(Var) and
r(sd) but I believe they describe the variation between strata.
An approximation to the standard error of the log(rate) would be:
(log(ciu) - log(cil))/3.92, but that may not be what you are asking for.

Instead of -strate- you might consider using -ci, poisson-.

Good luck,
Svend

Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6