RE: st: re counting missing

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: re counting missing
Date   Fri, 23 Feb 2007 10:59:32 -0000

In addition to other answers, -groups- and -tabcount-
from SSC are pre-existing programs on SSC that deal
with various aspects of the problem. For some
discussion, see

SJ-3-4  pr0011  . . . . . . . .  Speaking Stata: Problems with tables, Part II
        Q4/03   SJ 3(4):420--439                                 (no commands)
        reviews three user-written commands (tabcount, makematrix,
        and groups) as different approaches to tabulation problems

It helps to be careful about terminology. In Stata
"missing" connotes missing value(s) within observation(s)
on one or more variables. Counting missings is easy.
The problem here is recording absences, i.e. failure
to appear in the dataset or that part of it being analysed.

It is also possible to do this graphically. For example,
in a bar chart, you just add extra points to the appropriate
axis.

 sysuse auto, clear
 bysort rep78 : gen frequency = _N
 egen tag = tag(rep78)
 twoway bar freq rep78 if tag, ///
 horizontal barw(0.5) bcolor(none) blcolor(black) ///
 yla(1/5 6 "excellent" 7 "spectacular", ang(h) noticks) || ///
 scatter rep78 freq, ms(none) mla(freq) mlabpos(9) xsc(off) legend(off)

Sergiy Radyakin

Svend Juul

Richard Hiscock