st: Re: RE: Re: RE: RE: Continous to categorical variable

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: RE: Re: RE: RE: Continous to categorical variable
Date   Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:47:48 +0100

All you need is to select your intervals to be smaller at the ends and wider in the middle.

The simpliest way to do this is:
1. Normalize your data -- subtract the min, divide by the range, you know the story -- your values should be [0;1]
2. Treat these values as probabilites p, and solve Fnorm(x)=p for x. In Stata use -invnorm-
3. Now you have remapped your values to a range about [-3;3]
4. Divide this range to the desired number of categories, e.g. 6: [-3;-2], [-2,-1], ....
5. Done

N.b. invnorm(0)=.
invnorm(1)=.
So you will lose the max and the min points in your data. You can assign them manually to the respective categories.

Regards, Sergiy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mentzakis, Emmanouil" <[email protected]>