st: RE: RE: Continous to categorical variable

From   "Mentzakis, Emmanouil" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Continous to categorical variable
Date   Wed, 21 Feb 2007 17:03:40 -0000

Maybe I should describe a little bit better.

I do not want the variable to "become more like a normal distribution".
What I would like is the categories created to be such that the tails
contain less individuals, with an increase in the numbers as we get
closer to the middle category.

Thanks
Manos

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Maarten Buis
Sent: 21 February 2007 16:48
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: Continous to categorical variable

--- Mentzakis, Emmanouil wrote:
> I have a continous variable (i.e. income) and I would like to
> transform it into a categorical one (e.g 5 categories/levels or more).
>
> I would like to ask if there is any way that I can ask stata to create

> this variable deciding the appropriate cut-off points automatically so

> that the categories follow aproximately a normal distrubution or they
> are of equal size.

For the latter have a look at -help egen- and look at the cut function.
For the former: how would you expect a variable to become more like a
normal distribution by making it coarser?

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Department of Social Research Methodology Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam
The Netherlands

visiting address: