st: RE: RE: Re: adjusted r square

Subject   st: RE: RE: Re: adjusted r square
Date   Wed, 21 Feb 2007 00:00:14 -0000

Returning to Ranjita's original question, I just noticed something odd
about the adjusted R-square reported by xtreg,fe.

Background: to get the "right" error variance for a fixed effects
regression, a degrees-of-freedom adjustment is needed that incorporates
the number of fixed effects.  Whereas the usual formula applied to an FE
regression would be SSR/(NT-K), the right formula is SSR/(N(T-1)-K).
See e.g. Wooldridge's 2002 textbook, p. 271.  The idea is that the FEs
are incidental parameters that eat up degrees of freedom and this needs
to be recognized.

The standard defnition of the adjusted R-sq is 1-(1-R2)((N-1)/(N-K)).

xtreg,fe seems to be using 1-(1-R2)((NT-1)/(NT-K)).

But arguably it should follow the same logic as that behind the formula
for the "right" error variance and use 1-(1-R2)((N(T-1)-1)/(N(T-1)-K)).
Or should it?

--Mark