st: RE: Re: adjusted r square

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: adjusted r square
Date   Tue, 20 Feb 2007 22:58:39 -0000

Uli raises some good questions, which have often been answered
in the literature -- but the answers disagree.

Some of the concerns here are pointed up by considering perfect models
that interpolate the data. The idea of a 1:1 map appears as a
literary conceit in Lewis Carroll, Jorge Luis Borges, Umberto
Eco, etc. It underlines that the perfect model is just as difficult to
understand as the original data. Worse, it is less likely than a
simpler model to transfer well to other datasets. A overfitted model
pays too much attention to quirks of the dataset by "capitalising
on chance".

What is immediate is that modelling is a trade-off problem
between goodness of fit and parsimony or simplicity. However, people
can not agree on how to quantify the trade-off. It is far from self-evident
even that the number of adjustable parameters is the best metric for complexity.
Adjusting R-square I think goes back further than other criteria such as AIC and
BIC, but each criterion proposed has its few years of fame before another
becomes more fashionable. I regularly read advice such as that AIC is widely agreed
to give the wrong answer, to which the reaction has to be, How do they
know?

Ulrich Kohler