RE: st: RE: -save- with emptyok

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: -save- with emptyok
Date   Tue, 13 Feb 2007 11:44:19 -0000

I have some sympathy with this call, echoed by Jeph Herrin,
but not total sympathy.

In practice the work-around is so easy that I would much
rather the good folks at StataCorp implement many other
things first.

Any way, what is the underlying problem? You want to
join several data files, observation-wise, and kicking
off the process is a little tricky because you have
to -use- before you can -append-? Isn't Roger Newson's
-dsconcat- one of several solutions to that?

More crucially, this looks like a little deal from your
point of view, but you are asking StataCorp to
change one or more fundamental commands.

I am not clear whether you want a change to -save- or to
-append-, but it is the same story either way.

Changing the behaviour of a fundamental command is scary
stuff when you want is not a bug fix (which by definition
is desirable). Who knows what other commands, programs or do files might
be broken by any such change? I have no idea, but unless
you can be certain that there are no side-effects, this
is questionable. Of course, it is StataCorp's job to
worry about that; and be assured, they would worry about
that.

Even adding an extra option looks like questionable complexity.

Stata users often forget that just adding a little feature to
official Stata can be a much bigger deal than just tweaking the code. In
general, you need to make a hit on the help, the manuals, the
dialogs, and the test scripts; and there are downstream implications
for maintenance, tech support and marketing. Now don't feel
sorry for StataCorp: they take your money so that they can do
this, among other things. But these changes can be a bigger deal
than you think.

Partha Deb