st: How to spolit variable info to multiple variables

From   "Pritpal Marjara" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: How to spolit variable info to multiple variables
Date   Sun, 11 Feb 2007 14:10:07 +0530

Dear All,

Is there any command in stata that can make separate variables for multiple
coded responses.

For example:

VarA (numerical field) is coded with following responses:

145
235
1256
16
14

Now I want to create six variables with the names VarA1 VarA2 VarA3 VarA4
VarA5 VarA6 and the data from VarA to be transferred/copied to the newly
created variables (sysmis, if the variable has no code for the new variable;
VarA2 VarA3 and  VarA6 will have missing values for first row of VarA).

Wondering, if any stata command/program can be used to do it as I have too
many variables to recode.

Thank you

Pritpal