st: Re: Output management

Subject   st: Re: Output management
Date   Fri, 09 Feb 2007 17:24:47 -0500

First, I find it hard to believe that you think Excel graphs are somehow more powerful than Stata's. You can really accomplish a lot with Stata's graphs and then use the resulting graph command in a do file to create many similar graphs very quickly.

You may want to take a look at my presentation at the 2005 NASUG on using Stata with Word mail merge to produce more than a 100 page appendix of similarly formatted pages of information that included data, estimation results, and three different graphs on each page, automatically laid out and able to be updated in seconds. See http://repec.org/nasug2005/mblasniknasug.ppt. I can give you more info (inlcuidng Word files) off list if you'd like.

Michael Blasnik

----- Original Message ----- From: <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2007 4:54 PM
Subject: st: Output management

List-friends,
We are a mixed-brand shop using Stata and SAS. (I greatly prefer Stata but we hire "classically" trained folks too.) We face a challenge in generating batches of reports that are visually identical but provide estimates tailored to specific end-users, for example, a standardized "profile" of analytic results by county. From Stata, I've done the job semi-manually by transferring output to an Excel spreadsheet which is programmed to generate the desired graph or chart, then cutting and pasting charts/graphs into MS-Word. It's clumsy, with potential for human error, and Word doesn't handle pages well when many graphic objects are embedded. I haven't tried programming Stata to generate graphics directly because I think it would take much programming to yield limited options compared to Excel. But Excel can't analyze in the ways we need (e.g., complex-sample survey data analysis).

SAS sells a fancy package with a "business intelligence" analytic engine and an MS-Office add-in. I haven't investigated but assume our small academic group can't afford it. Can someone suggest either a better Stata-based method than my cut-and-paste approach or a Stata-related software solution?
thx...Arnold

Arnold H. Levinson, Ph.D.