RE: st: problems (again) on updating ivreg2 - is it because of the SJ?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: problems (again) on updating ivreg2 - is it because of the SJ?
Date   Thu, 8 Feb 2007 12:54:36 -0000

I have a more mundane tip. You don't have to be a programmer
to look inside a program. Anyone can look. In fact, Stata will
look for you.

In particular,
if I want to know whether a program on SSC is more up-to-date
than one I have on my system, I can go

. ssc type ivreg2.ado

A lot of stuff may scroll by, but I am looking for some stuff
at the top like

*! ivreg2 2.1.21  5Feb2007

which I can compare with what is on my system:

. which ivreg2, all

to see if I need to update. (I do.)

Two details:

1. The -all- option is worth it too. Somehow you have may
multiple versions installed. That can be a cause of confusion,
either in this respect or in others.

2. This depends on programmers using the *! system. If
they don't, well, they could be forgetful, or there might
be a warning hidden for you about their cutting of corners.

Richard Williams