st: RE: Trends in No. of rooms & No. of occupants

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Trends in No. of rooms & No. of occupants
Date   Wed, 7 Feb 2007 17:19:54 -0000

This looks like a job for the somersd package, downloadable from SSC.
You can install somersd by typing, in Web-aware Stata,

ssc install somersd, replace

It might then be a good idea to exit Stata and to start Stata up again.
Then, load your data, and type

somersd q5rooms q22ops, tr(z) tdist

and this will produce a 95% confidence interval for Somers' D of q22ops
with respect to q5rooms. Somers' D is a rank-based measure of ordinal
trend. If you sample, at random, a pair of respondents with different
values for q5rooms, then Somers' D is the difference between 2
probabilities, namely the probability that the respondent with more
rooms has more occupants and the probability that the respondent with
more rooms has fewer occupants.

More information about Somers' D, and the somersd package, can be
downloaded from my website (see my signature below).

I hope this helps.

Roger

Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics