RE: st: "testing" a cluster analysis

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: "testing" a cluster analysis
Date   Wed, 7 Feb 2007 14:59:25 -0000

I think Ron�n and Ken made excellent points.

I am also queasy about this for quite a different
reason. As I understand it, you have a discrete
outcome space with 2^7 = 128 distinct outcomes.
I am not clear that this lends itself to cluster
analysis, nor would calculating means be what springs
to my mind as natural.

In principle, you lose no information by tabulating the
frequencies of those 128 composite outcomes and sorting
the table.

However, I may be mis-reading your problem. For example,
there is a hint in this second posting -- but not in
the first -- that the real interest is in how yet
other variables relate to these magnificent seven.
(If not, what has OLS to do with seven binary indicators?)

Adam Seth Litwin