st: RE: ivreg2

From   "Mortal, Sandra C." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: ivreg2
Date   Sat, 3 Feb 2007 21:44:45 -0600

Hi Kit,

 Thanks for your prompt response. If you don't mind I would like to ask
you a few more questions.

 (1) If the bias of the IV estimates cause them to approach the
(inconsistent) OLS estimates (which are significantly positive), then if
I get larger IV estimates (compared to the OLS estimates) does that mean
my estimates would be even larger if I had strong instruments?  In other
words, would that imply my IV estimates are biased downward?

 (2) I read a review by Stock and co-authors, and they mention that if I
estimate my equation using liml, then my results will be more robust to
weak instruments, further, I noticed that the Stock-Yogo critical values
are much lower, when I use LIML.  Am I making a correct intepretation of
their text?

 (3) In the review by Stock and co-authors, they mention that the rule
of thumb is that an F-test should be greater than 10.  They also mention
in the context of multiple instrumental variables the Cragg-Donald F
statistic and the Stock-Yogo critical values.  Does this Cragg-Donald
statistic also work in a one instrument context?  This is because, when
I look at this statistic my instruments seem to be higher than the 10%
Stock-Yogo critical value.  If each of these statistics work as a
sufficient condition (rather than a necessary condition) for having
strong instruments, then I would rather report the Cragg-Donald
statistic, considering this is statistically sound.

My problem is that it is very tough to get exogenous instruments for my
variable, and this is the only instrument I have managed to come up
with, so I would like to stick to it, if at all possible.

Thanks a lot for your help,
 Sandra

Sandra Mortal
Assistant Professor of Finance