st: [Re: How to program a loop to calculate the value of an observation]

From   Andreas Reinstaller <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: [Re: How to program a loop to calculate the value of an observation]
Date   Sat, 03 Feb 2007 16:27:09 +0100

I have found a solution that does not strike me to be particularly elegant, but that works. I just use the indices of the variables in Stata, where NoEnt_nsc1 TO_nsc1 TO_Nace NoEmpl_nsc1 LET are the variables I use:

In a simple do file I have this code
--------------------------------------------------begin calc ----------------------------------
local size=_N

/* Ave_HHI nsc1 */

sort country time SecCode sizeclass
generate ntx=_n
generate newntx=.
local i = 1
forvalues i = 1(1)`size' {

local nof = NoEnt_nsc1[`i']
if `nof'==. local nof = 0
local szs = 0

if `nof' > 0 {
if `nof' == 1 {
local szs = (NoEnt_nsc1[`i']*(100*(TO_nsc1[`i']/NoEnt_nsc1[`i'])/TO_Nace[`i'] )^2) }
else{ local j = 0
forvalues j = 1(1)`nof' {
local sz = 0
local sz = ((100*((TO_nsc1[`i']/NoEmpl_nsc1[`i']*LET[`i'])+(2*`j'*(TO_nsc1[`i'] -(NoEnt_nsc1[`i']*(TO_nsc1[`i']/NoEmpl_nsc1[`i']*LET[`i'])))/(NoEnt_nsc1[`i']*(NoEnt_nsc1[`i']-1))))/ TO_Nace[`i'])^2)
local szs = `szs' + `sz'
}
}
}
qui by country time SecCode sizeclass: replace newntx = `szs' if ntx==`i'
}

by country time SecCode: egen Ave_HHI_nsc1=sum(newntx)

For 12000 obs it takes about 15 minutes to run on a dual core pentium with 2.8ghz and Windows XP in Stata 8.2.

If somebody has ideas about how to improve the speed, I should be grateful.

Best,
Andreas

-------- Original-Nachricht --------