Re: st: ado file location in Macintosh OS X

From   Michael Hanson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: ado file location in Macintosh OS X
Date   Sat, 3 Feb 2007 08:30:23 -0500

On Feb 2, 2007, at 8:54 PM, Michael McCulloch wrote:

Hello,
I've migrated to the Mac, and located my ado file location.
	[snip]

When I ask Stata to examine the directories, I see:

. sysdir
   	STATA:  /Applications/Stata/
 	UPDATES:  /Applications/Stata/ado/updates/
    	BASE:  /Applications/Stata/ado/base/
    	SITE:  /Applications/Stata/ado/site/
    	PLUS:  ~/ado/plus/
	PERSONAL:  ~/ado/personal/
	OLDPLACE:  ~/ado/
This message brings to mind one of my pet peeves with the way Stata installs on a Mac: by placing the directory for PLUS / PERSONAL / OLDPLACE ado files in the user's home directory, one of Apple's guidelines concerning the location of application installed files -- "Don't Pollute User Space" -- is violated. (For more information, see "Where to Put Application Files" <http://developer.apple.com/ documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPFileSystem/Articles/ WhereToPutFiles.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40001411>.)

IMHO, the following is more consistent with Apple's guidelines for the file system:

PLUS: ~/Library/Application Support/Stata/ado/plus/
PERSONAL: ~/Library/Application Support/Stata/ado/personal/
OLDPLACE: ~/Library/Application Support/Stata/ado/

In fact, I have done exactly that through the following commands in my profile.do:

sysdir set OLDPLACE "~/Library/Application Support/Stata/ado/"
sysdir set PLUS "~/Library/Application Support/Stata/ado/plus/"
sysdir set PERSONAL "~/Library/Application Support/Stata/ado/personal/"

This personalized approach works perfectly well, and yet I've always wondered why ~/Library/Application Support/Stata/ado/ is not the default installation location. Is there an argument for the location currently used by the installer that I'm missing?

-- Mike
*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/