st: advice on documentation (was: Several ttests)

From   Philip Ryan <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: advice on documentation (was: Several ttests)
Date   Fri, 29 Dec 2006 11:03:29 +1030

The entire Chapter - no. Stata's current policy, as outlined by Bill Gould at the recent Australian and New Zealand Users Meeting in Melbourne, is that the full text of Stata's documentation will only be available in hard-copy form. (My suggestion for the documentation to appear on CD-ROM (at a price) was not met with enthusiasm by StataCorp.)

But, on the other hand, the on-line help files already contain useful parts.

If I do a -search quotes- then about the third entry returned is:

[U] Chapter 18 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Programming Stata
(help program, macro, quotes, syntax, examplehelpfile)

and clicking on quotes and then macros gives me something to go on, albeit a little more terse than the User's Guide offers.

As well, Bill Gould has written a FAQ in this territory:

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/lang/quote.html

No doubt other on-line resources exist.

Phil